Tours of Manor and Farm
Looking for something new and different for your group activity? Consider a tour of Indian Hill Manor and Farm. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the manor, farm and grounds offer a unique opportunity to learn about the life of the gentlemen farmer in the early 1900s in Northern Illinois. Guided tours of groups of 8 to 16 people of the manor, the dairy farm and the grounds, designed by noted landscape architect O. C. Simonds, are available to groups on a prearranged basis.
To maintain the quality of IHMF’s grounds, plantings, and facilities, tour guests must adhere to the following guidelines:
- A manor tour group is a minimum of eight (8) and a maximum of sixteen (16) guests. Larger tour groups may be divided into two groups. A tour is for a specific location within IHMF (manor, grounds or farm). Other IHMF locations are not permitted to visit or use.
- The fee for group tours is $20.00 person, with a minimum of 8 people. Tours for groups of less than 8 people are available for a fee of $150.
- To preserve its historic nature, IHMF is not American Disabilities Act (ADA) accessibile. For tour guests with limited mobility, the Manor’s first floor is accessible while the second floor and basement is reachable by stairs only.
- As a tour is a minimum of forty-five minutes with a fifteen (15) minute introduction, tour guests will need to stand for an hour or more. Comfortable, closed-toed, flat shoes are recommended, due to climbing and extended standing.
- Tours of the grounds only can accommodate groups up to thirty (30) people. As the grounds and gardens have no paved surfaces and trails, Tour guests need to be able to walk on uneven surfaces. With Summer’s extreme sun and mosquitoes, it is recommended for outdoor tours visitors wear long-sleeved shirts/tops, pants/slacks, and hats and use mosquito repellent. Comfortable shoes are recommended. No sandals, flip-flops, or high-heeled shoes are allowed
- No interior/exterior photography and videography are allowed, including cell phone photos and videos. Cell phones need to be silenced. Purses, backpacks, and other items should remain in guest vehicles, otherwise, they will be collected and left in a secure location, during the tour.
- Two (2) uni-sex rest rooms are available on the first floor of the Manor. Any other rest rooms are not available for use. If a tour group is large, please consult with IHMF, as alternate rest room arrangements may be needed.
- Vehicle access to the site is via the South Bend Road entrance, and car parking is available at designated locations. No buses, mini-buses, or recreational vehicles are allowed in the car parking. Bus tour guests will need to be dropped off and picked up at the South Bend Road entrance to walk to their tour location. Please consult with SHF to arrange alternate on-premises parking for buses, mini-buses and recreational vehicles.
- No food or beverages are allowed. With advance arrangements, SHF may provide food and/or beverages at additional cost.
Payment and Cancellation Policy: For larger groups (more than 16), a payment of fifty percent (50%) of the fees for the maximum number of anticipated tour guests is required to reserve a tour date. Thirty (30) days, prior to the tour date, the final head count and payment balance are due. If a tour is cancelled more than thirty (30) days, prior to the tour date, a cancellation fee of One Hundred dollars ($100.00) will be deducted from the paid fees with any remaining fees to be refunded within thirty (30) days of the cancellation. If the final payment is not made when due, SHF has the right to cancel the reserved tour date and all payments are forfeited. No refunds will be made for no-shows or cancellations less than thirty (30) days, prior to the tour date.
For a larger tour that is reserved less than thirty (30) days, prior to the tour date, the total fees for the maximum number of anticipated tour guests must be paid in full, at the time of the reservation, with all payments forfeited, if the tour is cancelled. No refunds will be made for no-shows or cancellations less than thirty (30) days, prior to the tour date.
For smaller (less than 16 people), a payment of $50 is required to reserve a tour date. Ten days prior to the tour date the final head count and payment of the balance are due. If a tour is cancelled more than ten (10) days prior to the tour date, the $50 fee will be refunded; if the tour is cancelled less than ten (10) days prior to the tour date the reservation fee will be forfeited. No refund will be made for no-shows or cancellations after ten (10) days prior to the tour date.
For a complete copy of the Tour Guidelines and Agreement send an email to Smejafdn@gmail.com or call 815-964-6464.